You know that maintaining the right moisture level in your home will help to ensure that your HVAC systems are working efficiently for you, and that the right humidity level can help your home to feel cool in the summer and warm in the winter. However, did you know that operating a humidifier has other health and household benefits? If humidity levels are not properly maintained, your home will feel decidedly uncomfortable, and your family may also become susceptible to respiratory disorders or chemical reactions. One of the primary functions of your home’s air conditioning system is to remove unwanted moisture from the air. Many times this may not be enough to remove the excess moisture that comes into your home.
In any home, the ideal temperature will be specific to a family’s preferences and based on maintaining recommended humidity levels to ensure comfort and safety. The recommended humidity range is between 45-55%. A home ventilation system or a humidification system can help to address humidity levels in your home. Too much or too little moisture in the air can cause a variety of health and household issues.
Low Indoor Humidity Can Cause…
- Static electricity
- Dry/itchy skin and hair
- Susceptibility to colds and respiratory illness
- Viruses and germs thrive
- Damage to wood furniture and floors
- Electronics may be affected
One of the main reasons to get a humidifier is for the comfort and health benefits they can give you and your family. Increasing the humidity in the room can help alleviate asthma and allergic reactions as well as provide comfort for anyone with a cold. Increasing humidity keeps the inside of your nasal passages well lubricated which can generally promote sinus health. A humidifier can also help prevent snoring which can bring a significant increase in the quality-level of your sleep…and your partners. The benefits of using a humidifier include…
- Clears sinuses and improve breathing
- Reduces risk of infections. Viruses and bacteria do not dwell in moist air. Studies have shown that increasing humidity levels to 43% or above significantly reduced the ability of airborne viruses to cause flu infections.
- Helps to keep nasal passages moist.
- Softer glowing skin. Humidifiers keep your skin moist to help prevent dry/dull skin.
- As mentioned, snoring can decrease due to the relaxation of the nasal passages as the wet air moisturizes the respiratory system.
- Improves sleep quality.
- Helps alleviate dry/sore throats.
- Decreases airborne dust particles
As the heat travels through your HVAC, it spins out dry air to warm your home. This dry air can also create some problems in your household. Using a humidifier will improve, prevent, or eliminate the following…
- Electric shocks. A humidifier can make the air a bit less dry, and thus lower the possibility of you getting shocked.
- Cracked wood floors/furniture – Over time dry air can warp wood floors or furniture.
- Protect paintings and photos from brittleness, discoloration, and flaking.
Adversely, for those of you suffering from the opposite effect high humidity in your home can witness…
- Mold growth
- Wet insulation
- Rot on woodwork
- Muggy conditions
- Sleep discomfort
If you’re experiencing issues in your home due to low or high humidity, contact an Phoenix Comfort Systems today. We can talk with you to assess your home’s needs and come up with the best plan to accommodate them. The right humidity levels equals a happy home and healthy home.
Contact us (859-918-5400) for a Free Consultation!
About Phoenix Comfort Systems
Phoenix Comfort provides a full range of air conditioning and heating repair, installation, and maintenance services for residential and commercial customers. We keep your air conditioning and heating systems in their best condition and ready to go when you need them most, following the industry’s “best practice” methods and standards. Phoenix Comfort carries a full line of quiet, energy-efficient air conditioning and heating equipment.
>> Learn More